Today is the epitome of a lazy Sunday. I honestly haven’t even felt like cooking. However, I did not feel like eating out, either (I’ve got a wedding to save for and bills to pay!!).
So what did I do? Look through my pantry to see what was readily available, and I found the following items staring at me: My loaf of bread, frozen spinach, and a can of hearts of palm. After trying to figure out how I could mesh these elements together, the A-HA moment hit me:
Folks…I present to you my version of a VERY tasty curried chick-un salad sandwich.
This was my first time making and EATING hearts of palm, and I was NOT disappointed. It has a mellow, yet slightly tangy flavor-which I absolutely love. The texture of the brined hearts of palm is meat-like, so it makes the perfect natural plant-based substitute for any recipe requiring white poultry (or even seafood) meat. The flavor of the plant is light mellow enough that it can really absorb whatever seasonings and spices you’d like. You can even rinse out the brine for a few minutes in cold water, if you want to make the flavor as neutral as possible. One of my favorite things about these hearts? They’re actually quite affordable and pretty easy to locate at most grocery stores.
This is also low in carbs!
Anyways, enough jibber-jabber. Let’s get on with the recipe!
· One 14oz can or jar of hearts of palm, drained & rinsed (and coarsely chopped)
· 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard topping
· ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
· 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
· ½ teaspoon of paprika
· ½ cup of fresh spinach leafs
· 1 tablespoon veganaise
· 1 teaspoon of curry seasoning
· 2 dates (chopped into fine pieces)
· Vessels for your ‘chick-un’ salad.
1. Take a skillet and preheat and add the olive oil to the skillet.
2. Once the skillet is warm enough, add all of the ingredients (except veganaise) together, and sauté on medium-high heat for about 7-10 minutes, until the hearts of palm (chick-un) mixture has some golden brown charring.
3. Once the chick-un mixture has finished sautéing, turn off skillet & remove from heat. After cooling off for about 2 minutes, add in the veganaise, and mix well. Serve over your favorite type of bread (or wrap/ or leafy green wrap!) and enjoy!!
Makes two hearty servings
Nutritional information per serving (without bread):