When I was developing this year’s Super Bowl Menu for my small household, I wanted to create something fun, unique and simple. Then I remembered that strawberry season was upon us. Because I live in Plant City, Florida- the Winter Strawberry capital of the world, I had to support my local strawberry growers. Hence, I purchased some lovely organic berries from Eco Farm.
Back to my recipe dilemma: So here I am starching my head trying to figure out what snacks to make that would somehow incorporate strawberries…then BAM! Like a lightning bolt, an idea came: Strawberry Salsa!
Yes folks, I said it: Strawberry Salsa!! You’ve GOT to trust me on this one! When you use fresh strawberries with lime and cilantro, the flavors marry beautifully. Similarly to using tomatoes, the incorporation of strawberries provides a nice tart bite with just the right amount of an acidic touch-an element that is essential to making fresh salsa. This recipe is not only simple to make, but dangerously delicious. So tasty that you MIGHT wind up eating the whole bowl in one sitting. Be warned…
Here’s the recipe:
- 16 ounces of fresh strawberries
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1 juice of one lime
- 1/3 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Four green onions, coarsely chopped
- A pinch of salt (1/4 tsp)
- Coarsely chop the strawberries until they are roughly diced to about ½ inch-sized cubes. Set aside
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients and pulse about ten times with five seconds for each pulse. This will take about a minute or so. You will have a slightly chunky salsa consistency,
- Serve up with some tortilla chips, and enjoy! 🙂
Nutrition information (per serving for salsa, only) 45g calories/ 1g protein/0.44g fat/11g carbs/ 2.7g fiber