Two years ago, my life forever changed: I remember going to my doctor’s office for a regular checkup, and the look of worry in her face when she told me that I was officially pre-diabetic. Even though health issues, such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and Type II Diabetes were already rampant within both the Dominican and Puerto Rican sides of my family, I was shocked. Type II Diabetes would never affect ME, was my thought. Since this diagnosis, I have tried my best to take my health into my OWN hands: After trying different recipes, workout regimens, and diets, I eventually began to realize that the best source of health in nutrition was literally under my nose and growing from the ground: Fresh, healthy & local plants! Aside from plants, I really began to learn and see how whole, minimally processed foods have been positively impacting my health.
- Facilitate community-based cooking demos, workshops, and classes.
- The development of original recipes.
- The creation of social media content, including blog features on local food systems topics.
- Video production for recipes and interviews.
- Thank you for joining me on this journey! I hope you and your family can enjoy my recipes, tips, and local dining features. Let’s grow healthy, together!
**DISCLAIMER: Mara Latorre nor The Funky Spork is neither a Registered Dietitian nor a nutritionist. If you have are seeking advice on any dietary change, please consult with a Registered Dietitian or a medical professional.