A dish so tasty and familiar, you’ll be comin’ back for more! 🙂
I really love street food-especially tasty, and sometimes greasy junk food. One of my favorite go-to meals has been the classic Greek Gyro sandwich: The flavors of the rich juicy meat, feta and tzatziki sauce sandwiched between warm pita always made me smile!! But since going plant-based, gyro sandwiches have pretty much been out of the question for me (Ok, well there IS a delicious place called Vegan International Kitchen Co. & Market that makes a bomb vegan Gyro, but they’re a 30 mile trip, and most days, that’s way too far of a drive for me
That was, until this week!
I was having some serious Gyro Sammy cravings, but wanted to find a creative way to make them vegan and healthy (While still being very delicious!). And I think I came up with the perfect dish. My Gyro ‘meat’ is made with deliciously meaty Oyster mushrooms, and the tzatziki sauce is made with a dairy-free almond yogurt base. And you know what?? The sandwich turned out to be super quick, easy and DELICIOUS!! This will definitely be a go-to dish.
Here’s the recipe!
· 8 ounces of fresh Oyster Mushrooms
· 3 cloves finely minced garlic
· 1 tbs. Greek seasoning (I used the Cavender’s All-purpose Greek Seasoning brand)
· 2 tbs. balsamic vinegar
· ½ tsp. garlic powder
· 2 tbs. vegetable oil
· ½ small red onion, sliced
· 4 ounces of unsweetened almond yogurt (or any other unsweetened dairy-free yogurt of choice!)
· 2 tsp. finely chopped cucumber
· 1 tsp chopped fresh dill
· 2-3 cloves finely minced garlic
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
· 2 slices pita bread
· 1 small tomato, sliced
· ½ cucumber, sliced
· ½ red onion, sliced
· ½ cup fresh spinach
1. Take the oyster mushrooms, and on a cutting board, gently pull apart and shred each mushroom stalk with a fork, until the pieces resemble shredded chicken.
2. In a large skillet, turn on heat to medium high and drizzle vegetable oil, and let it heat for a few seconds. Gradually add in the sliced red onion and let the onion sauté for about a minute, until it becomes fragrant. Gradually add in the shredded mushroom, the garlic and all of the seasonings, and vinaigrette. Stir frequently and let the ‘meat’ mixture continue sautéing on medium-high for about 7 minutes, until the mushroom mixture begins to lightly caramelize, and most of the water evaporates. Set aside.
1. In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt and all of the seasonings. Mix until everything looks well combined.
1. (Optional, but highly suggested), lightly warm up pita bread, until it is warm and soft. Add half of Gyro meat mixture into pita, and layer it with the tzatziki sauce. Add the sliced cucumber, tomato, red, onion, and spinach, and enjoy! 😀
WARNING: This sandwich is QUITE messy, so beware!!
Makes two servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
364 Calories/ 11g protein/ 16 grams fat/ 47 grams of carbs/8 grams fiber