This warm & comforting dish is full of flavor and goodness.
I recently had some friends over for dinner. Prior to the big evening, I had been trying to figure out what to cook for these incredible humans. I knew that I wanted to cook them something special, especially since they had welcomed a beautiful new baby into this. planet. After rubbing my chin, deciding what to create, I thought about some of my personal favorite dishes.
The dish that came to mind was tortellini. Tortellini is one of my all-time favorite foods. This Italian-based pasta is actually closer to being a dumpling, as it typically contains a filling. Not only did I want to incorporate my favorite food into the evening’s meal, but I really wanted to make it…extra special. As I continued to brain storm, the idea of incorporating a warm & savory browned butter sauce, and fresh vegetables became an absolute must. I’m proud to say that the evening dinner was a major hit for all of us-there was definitely some plate licking going on!
While this dish is certainly not going to fall within the low-carb or keto categories, it is very delicious. Think of this like a delightful meal that will be worth biting into. The rich & creamy texture of the tortellini dances beautiful with the fresh vegetables and aromatic butter sauce. This tortellini recipe is perfect for a special evening with friends, or for your next #selfcare day.
Now, let’s move onto the recipe, shall we?
1 16-20oz package tortellini
1/3 stick butter, softened, and two tablespoons butter, separated
6 oz. Asparagus
Two packed cups fresh spinach
2-3 fresh sage leaves
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1. Take a large pasta pot, fill 3/4 way with water and set it on heat to begin boiling. While water is heating, dice pear into 1/2″ cubes, then set aside.
2. Take the asparagus and chop off the bottom 1/2″ of each stalk. Afterwards, take a skillet, heat to medium, and melt 1 tbsp. butter. Afterwards, place asparagus in skillet, and let brown for 2-3 minutes on each side (covered), and then turn. Asparagus should have light grill marks and a tender bite. Once asparagus is finished cooking, remove from heat, and cut into 1/2″ pieces. Set aside.
3. Use the same skillet for asparagus and add 1 tbsp. of oil. Add diced pears and sauté for about 4-5 minutes on medium-high or until the pear begins to lightly caramelize.
4. Once water begins boiling, gently add tortellini to pot. Let the tortellini cook for 4-5 minutes or until the pasta begins to float to the top. Pasta will be al’ dente. Drain afterwards and place back in pot. Set aside.
5. Take a small sauce pan, set to medium heat, anyplace 1/3 of softened butter stick into pot. At this point, add and gently mix garlic powder and sage. Allow to continue to cook on medium for about 4 minutes or until the butter begins to boil rapidly and brown. Remove sage from pot.
6. To the pasta, add the brown butter sauce, spinach, asparagus, pear, and cheese, and sit until spinach begins to wilt and cheese begins to melt. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Makes 6 servings
Nutrition information per serving:
341 Calories | 11g Protein | 20g Fat | 30.5g Carbohydrates | 2g Fiber