This grilled turkey Reuben sandwich is so delicious and easy to prepare, that you and your family will want to keep this on your regular dinner menu!
Reubens makes me happy.
There’s not much that I have to say about this recipe. No fancy back story. No thought-provoking anecdotes. I’m a big lover of sandwiches. In fact, for as long as I can remember Reubens have been one of my all-time favorite sandwiches. I don’t know, I guess there’s something really delicious about the piked meat layered between the nutty Swiss cheese, tangy sauerkraut, and buttery Russian dressing-all hugged between two wonderful slices of rhye bread. A true masterpiece.
This particular recipe, while not original, does have a few unique touches. As you may (or may not!) know, Reuben sandwiches are traditionally made with thick slices of corned beef. This iteration has turkey slices, instead (which I prefer). The traditional sandwich also has Russian dressing, which comprises of plain yogurt, horseradish, and ketchup. This version has a bit more of a simplified version of the sauce, but will instead be made with a very special sauce, which will consist of a creamy ketchup-mayo garlic base (hello Thousand Island!). We also ‘butter’ the bread with a smear of mayo, as well. Trust me, you’re in for a treat.
Alright, I’ve yapped on for way too long. Let’s move onto the recipe, shall we?!?
Grilled Turkey Reuben Sandwich
- 8 oz. sliced deli turkey breast (8-12 slices)
- 8 slices Rye bread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 4 tsp. ketchup
- 4 tsp. relish
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 4 tbsp. light mayonaise
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
Preparing the special sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine the followingingredients: the ketchup, relish, garlic powder, black pepper, and 3 tbsp. ofthe mayo (reserve 1 tbsp to the side). Gently mix all of these ingredientsuntil the sauce turns into an evenly pink color.
Preppingthe turkey Reuben sandwiches
- Preheat a skillet to medium heat. While skilletis heating, lightly ‘butter’ all four pieces of the rye bread with the 1reserved tablespoon of mayonnaise (the buttered side will be the side that getsgrilled. Place two of the slices of bread to the side, non-buttered side down.
- On two of the non-buttered sides of bread, layerin this highly recommended order: the special sauce, half of a slice of swisscheese on each slice, ¼ cup of sauerkraut, two ounces of gently folded turkeybreast, and then the second half of the Swiss cheese. Finally, take your secondslices of bread and spread the remaining portion of special sauce on bothslices and top over each sandwich.
- Grill the sandwiches on medium heat (recommendedcovered) for about 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Recommended: Once the sandwiches have beengrilled on both sides, cut them diagonally, and enjoy with a nice glass of beer( or iced tea)!
Nutrition information (per sandwich)
207 Calories | 12.9 grams Protein | 8.3 grams Fat | 19.9 grams Carbohydrates | 2.5 grams Fiber | 11 WW Smart Points (green plan)
Did you create this dish? What do ya think? Please let me know in the comments, below! 😀